The White HouseThe White House, located at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, was built between 1792 and 1800 of white-painted Aquia Creek sandstone in the Neoclassical style.  It was expanded outward in 1801, creating two colonnades that were meant to conceal stables and storage.  In 1814 the mansion was set ablaze by the British Army in the Burning of Washington, destroying the interior and charring much of the exterior. It was partially reconstructed by October 1817. Additions include the South Portico in 1824 and the North in 1829.